Today my student loan balance is officially under $20k – that means I’ve paid off $10k since January! The market may be crashing down around me but I’m still doing okay financially. Now, to celebrate with a nice (but inexpensive) bottle of wine tonight :)
We’re having a health fair at work so I got my cholesterol tested as a follow-up to my doctor’s visit in April. Here are my numbers:
Total Cholesterol = 156 (desirable is under 200)
HDL = 37 (this is too low; should be at least 40, with the more the better)
LDL = 97 (100-129 is desirable; optimum is less than 100)
TC/HDL ratio = 4.2 (less than 5.0 is desirable; optimum is less than 3.5)
Triglycerides = 113 (desirable is less than 150)
What’s frustrating is, here’s the list of how to raise HDL:
1. Regular physical activity (don’t marathons every weekend count?)
2. Lose excess weight (check)
3. Avoid trans fatty acids (double check)
4. Avoid refined carbohydrates such as soda, white bread, and white rice (I haven’t had soda, white bread, or white rice in I don’t know how long)
5. Use monounsaturated fats like olive, canola, and sunflower oil (I don’t use anything else in my own cooking, and I try for low fat items when I eat out)
6. Stop smoking (have never, will never)
So… why is my HDL still so low??? FRUSTRATING!
In other news, got my pics back from the Staten Island Half.
Me when I know there’s a photographer watching (but check out my long stride!)
Me when I either don’t know or don’t care that there’s a photographer – I am determined to make it in sub-3
Clearly a very strong finish photo
You’ll all be happy to know that I am taking a break this weekend and not running Atlantic City. This is for a multitude of reasons:
1. You all yelled at me for doing another marathon when my knee hurts, and for once, I thought I’d do the smart thing instead of the crazy thing
2. I’m pretty exhausted, and honestly, just want to sleep!
3. If I rest up this weekend, I can maybe do Niagara Falls with Chia next weekend
4. Boyfriend will probably have to work a lot this weekend and doesn’t think he can get away. I want to take him to get a couples massage instead, which is quick enough that he can probably squeeze it in, and it would be a nice treat to make up for him not being able to go away.
5. When I tried last night to call to cancel my hotel, I found out that resorts have a two day minimum to cancel instead of the standard one day. Of course, I called just three hours too late for that deadline! They told me I would have to pay $500 unless I could get the hotel manager to agree to waive it, so I decided it would be a sign: if they wouldn’t waive it, I’d suck it up and go; if they would, I’d skip it. They waived it!
Of course, this does not mean I won’t be running this weekend. Depending on how much I drink, I’m aiming for a 15 miler. Now I should point out that with most people, the more they drink, the less they run, but with me, the more I drink, the guiltier I will feel so the more I will run!
I’m hoping to get my Hartford Marathon report out today – stay tuned.