This morning, I did a Refine Method class at 9:30am, then headed out to run a loop of Central Park with my friend Steph afterward. Having only fueled for all that exercise with a bowl of steel cut oatmeal topped with a spoonful of Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter, I was famished when I got home, and wanted pretty much everything I could possibly think of. The result? This mish-mosh recipe, which makes a massive bowl and yet is pretty darn healthy.
Buffalo Blue Cheese Brown Rice and Crab
1. Bring 1 cup water to boil, and then add 1/3 cup uncooked shortgrain brown rice. This is the longest part of the cooking process, so best to start it first.
2. Rough chop one stalk of celery and one large tomato, and set aside.
3. In a microwave-safe bowl, put one Laughing Cow Light Blue Cheese wedge, and microwave for 15 seconds. (If you don’t want to use Laughing Cow Light, which is admittedly quite processed, you can substitute 0.5-1 oz of regular blue cheese; blue cheese is very pungent so it doesn’t take much!)
4. To the bowl, add 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani), 1 tsp of hot sauce, 1 tsp dried thyme, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Use a fork to mash (since the cheese won’t be completely melted) and combine.
5. Wait for your rice to finish cooking, and perhaps catch up on blog reading in the meantime? If you’re me.
6. To the rice pot, add one 4oz can of Trader Joe’s crabmeat; heat through (about 2 minutes).
7. Microwave the sauce for 30 seconds to heat, then add the rice/crab mixture and the raw veggies. Stir and eat!
This recipe is low-fat, high in calcium, and very high in manganese. Plus it’s delicious :) Enjoy!